Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ewwww! Yes, draw out the ewwww.

I am pretty tough when it comes to students doing gross things, but today was just one of those eww days where I felt like I needed gloves and a doctor's mask just to be in the same room as them. 

Ewww #1: Student A is walking around the classroom and doing work at his desk while alternately putting one hand over his eye, then rubbing it, and then trying to open his eyelid with his finger tips as wide as it will go.

Me: Student A, what are you doing with your eye?
Student A: I have to do that 'cause it hurts and I can't open it, but I'm trying to. 
Me: Did something happen to it?
Student A: No, my dad says it's just allergies.
Me: Let me see. (Student A tries to open his eye which is bright red and goopy!) Are you sure it's allergies?
Student A: I dunno. 
Me: Have you had eye drops or seen a doctor?
Student A: Nope. (Student A proceeds to start coughing like he is losing a lung, but really is just releasing tons of flem into his hand. 
Me: Umm, go wash your hands really good please. 
(I go to write him a pass to the nurse for said eye and cough. Out of the corner of my eye I see Student A squirt Germ-X into his flem filled hand and walk away.)
Me: Student A! No way buddy! Try again.
(Student A sheepishly turns around and proceeds to actually wash his hands.)
Oh, outcome of nurse visit? No answer at home, student is returned to my room. Yea.
  
Ewww #2: I am in the middle of a reading group and the other students are doing reading centers around the room. Student B walks up to the table.

Student B: Mrs. Harris? There's something gross at spelling center.
Me: Really? What's wrong? (thinking, please don't be something I have to touch)
Student B: Someone's wiping buggers on the spelling letters. (plastic magnetic letters they spell words out with)
Me: Buggers? Are you sure?
Student B: Yeah. I went to grab the "T" and it had a bugger on it. I had to flick it away.
Me: You flicked the bugger or the letter? 
Student B: The letter, but I got the bugger too. There's more on some of the other letters.
Me: Great. Class, no more spelling center today! Student B, go wash your hands!

Ewww #3:  You know I had to save the best for last...or the grossest to me at least. I am teaching another reading group while the students are still doing centers. I look up to make sure students are on task, etc. when I see Student C at the sink washing cards that go with a tic tac toe reading game. 

Me: Student C, why are you washing the reading cards?
Student C: Ummm, they got dirty.
Me: How?
Student C: Well, I had to go to the bathroom (this is where I groan and know it is not going to be good) and I accidentally dropped the cards into the toilet.
Me: What?!! You brought the cards into the bathroom with you?!
Student C: Yes...
Me: And you got them out with your hands?!
Student C: Yes...
Me: And you were going to wash them off and put them back with the game without telling anyone?!
Student C: Ummm, yes. 
Me: Go put the cards in the trash and wash your hands! Wash them three times! 
(Student tries to give me a hug 15 mins later, and feeling bad but still completely grossed out, I refused the hug by telling him he needed to stay in the line we were walking in.)

Just coincidence that Student A, B, and C are all boys? No, I don't think so. 

You mothers out there probably don't think these are a big deal, and I have seen worse too, but these things happened within one hour of each other, in my classroom, to kids who are not mine, who are 7 or 8 and just too old to be doing these things! It is just ewww! 

8 comments:

KatieB said...

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Annalisa said...

yah that's totally gross.

Sarah said...

Trust me...it's just as gross when it's your own kid. However, you are a little more tolerant of it. Other kids being gross creeps me out way more than my own...except nose picking...nasty, nasty, nasty

Kirs:) said...

I am laughing and wrenching at the same time over here:) You KNOW it is not ALL boys...Josh would be throwing antibacterial wipes at you and telling the kids they were freaks! I love that I have raised a germ phobic kid. (Now Justin is a different story all together:)

Austin said...

That is so gross! Great stories though!

Audra Bollard said...

No wonder you got that horrible flu last month!

I still think I have some throw-up stories that can beat these though (that toilet one is pretty bad though--ewwww, an elementary school toilet at that!).

Lance & Kristy said...

I have two boys and I still think it's way ewwwww! (Though I sure am excited for them to get bigger and keep doing those gross things!)

Susan R said...

Coming from the mother of 5 (three of them boys) I just have to read this and smile.
Top this...I just finished making several dozen, homemade spritz cookies and took them to cub scouts. I set the beautiful cookies with sprinkles and decors out and watched a child who had not two seconds before had his hand down the back of his pants pull his hands out of his pants to touch all of the cookies before picking the ones he wanted. I should have at that point handed him the entire tupperware container and told him it was his lucky day, but I threw the rest away. Little bugger.