Monday, February 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!




Don't worry dad, I won't ask you if you've seen your shadow. Poor guy has been asked that every year since his birthday is on Groundhog Day! I just wanted to write a post in his honor... and to make up for the fact that I am late getting half his gift to him. (not all my fault-see last post :) 

Top Fifteen Reasons Why I Have The Best Dad!
(In no particular order because that is just too hard)

1. Best bedtime storyteller. Just ask my cousins and my class (not at bedtime!).

2. Can get away with yelling, "Go Dano!" from the bleachers at soccer games. Yes, this is through high school.

3. At more than double my age, he can surf, mountain and road bike, ski, and probably snowboard better than I can. (We haven't been together in awhile to test that out!)

4. Went to most all my softball, soccer, swimming, and track and field events. This includes club, high school, and tournaments. It's a wonder he knows what to do with his Saturdays now!
He even acted as a personal coach to me in all these sports even though he never played most of them.

5. Fed me bites of Snickers bars through the fence at some track meets to give me energy in between long and triple jumps.

6. Has driven to Idaho, Utah, and flown to Florida multiple times to help move me or spend time with me. Some of those drives were in horrible snowstorms too! Obviously not the Florida trip. :)

7. My dad is an awesome listener and always knows the right thing to say. He always makes me feel better and just gets me.

8. My dad is really spiritual.  He has always been a strong and great leader for our family both spiritually and temporally.

9. He will ride any roller coaster with me!

10. He gets mad at me when I say I am not attractive and always told me boys were just intimidated by me. Such a dad thing to say!  He always let's me know he loves me and is proud of me.

11. Has always known that I can reach all my goals even when I would get discouraged.

12. Is genuinely funny so he makes me laugh! 

13. My sister and I would go in my parents room at night and feel their faces in the dark for my dad's mustache because he's the one that would let us in bed with them.

14. While my dad was very loving, he taught us not to whine. "Hi hungry, I'm Randy." "Hi tired/thirsty/insert whine here, I'm Randy."

15. Has the best phrases that I still use today. After eating at a restaurant he would either say, "Have you soaked up enough atmosphere?" or "Well guys, let's blow this joint!"

There's a million other reasons why my dad is so great, but hopefully 15 gives him an idea of how much I love and appreciate him. I couldn't have asked for more in a father. 
Happy Birthday Dad! I love you!

5 comments:

Audra Bollard said...

#14 & #15 about killed me--I'm totally laughing out loud. I'm so glad you wrote some of these things down.

Basically in the parents department you and I won the lottery.

Happy Birthday Dad!

Unknown said...

Danielle, Thank you! You are a sweet daughter. It was easy being a good dad when I have a daughter like you. You forgot one of my favorite sayings..."Danielle is everything a father could ever want in a son!" She's a good athelete and will watch football and world extreme cagefighting on TV. What father could ask for more than that? I love my girls and my son, but I can't get my son to watch football on TV (as he says "why would I want to sit and watch a bunch of guys who are already in great physical shape run around on the field while 60,000 people who could use the exercise sit in the bleachers watching them?") Great logic, son, but it sort of misses the point! Anyway, thanks for the birthday wishes and thanks for the subscription to Road and Track.

Love you, Dad

Holly said...

My dad always did the "hi hungry" thing too, maybe it is a Rose thing!

JennyLeighP said...

You are so sweet! You and your dad are cute together...yall look so much alike!

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

I do miss his bedtime stories (jasper I think it was...can't remember the other guy's name), those were some good sleepover days. Why can't we be kids again?! And, I can totally hear him yelling "Go Dano!" I know the groundhog birthday thing might be kind of a bummer since you get lame jokes, but I can honestly say I think he is the only uncle's birthday that I know, makes it easy to remember :) PS-I hope you're feeling better!