Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Really?

Imagine: It's 11:30 pm the night before you have 6 wonderful friends coming to paint your nursery (since you are incapable of doing any real work on bed rest even though you are itching too...), it's just 2 nights before your mom is coming from CA to help, and your husband has started clearing out the babies room so it can actually be painted.

You are walking along your year-old bamboo floors when your foot gets a little wet. You get a paper towel and wipe it up. When you return from throwing it away your foot gets wet again...in the same spot. yikes!

Yes, this is my reality. I notice water is coming from under the floorboards and yell for Chris to come because, obviously it's a man's problem. We trace the darkening boards to under the AC vent whose visibility has been mostly blocked by a desk. Chris moves the desk and we see the lovely sign of water damage. Don't know how long or how bad. The dry wall under it is wet, the base board is ugly, the bamboo boards are starting to bow out. We go into the garage to look at the AC unit and move the junk that was blocking the base's visibility and see pooling water. Yea, more water damage on the dry wall upon which it sits.

Chris stays up until 4:30 am because he went to good ole Walmart to buy a Shop Vac and tries to suck up the water in the garage and tries to suck out whatever is clogging the pipe.

Early the next morning we get the rest of the office cleared out, my friends come and do an amazing job on the paint (and more help in my guest room which is where most of the office stuff had to get dumped), and an AC guy comes and uses his skills to get out the clog which he said was pretty gross and bad. Welcome to Florida humidity.

The bad part is we are now waiting on someone coming later this week to assess our damage. I have no idea how many floor boards and how much dry wall is going to have to be replaced, but it's not going to be fun. I also don't know what the mold situation is. Can't wait to bring a baby in! I thought the AC company should have to pay for it since it is still under warranty but Chris thinks we were supposed to be doing maintenance to it. Did you know you had to clean the pipe out once a year? We obviously didn't. I'm going to make him try anyway just because I happen to want our money to stay our money.

I know this is part of owning a home, but I can't stand things like this where I didn't initiate some kind of great home remodeling where I am going to get something better for my money. We are crossing our fingers that it won't be as bad as we think. That might just be wishful thinking on our part!!! So all I can really say at the end of the day is, Really?

I didn't take pictures of it yet and will not post them because it is just too depressing, but I will post pictures in a few days of the cute nursery. Chris got the crib put together and was so excited to put the bedding on! Yes, him. I love watching how excited he is getting (and has been) for this baby.

6 comments:

Jenna said...

oh my gosh!!! now way. that IS depressing. i hope there isnt a lot of money coming out of your pockets in the end. yay for baby nursery getting painted and the crib put together.

Kirs:) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kirs:) said...

I can't wait to to see how the nursery turns out!! It is going to be adorable I am sure:) Hopefully the dry wall won't cost to much to fix:(

Molly said...

So sorry!!! I hope it is either covered or you can find someone to do it for real cheap. I can not wait to see the room!!! I know it will be darling :) Have fun with your mom!!!!

Mom C. said...

Oh my goodness! That just stinks! So sorry for AC problems. I hope it all works out. NILA

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

I'm SOOO sorry! I know that terrible feeling, but didn't have the added pregnant and baby element, which makes it way worse. I hope you can get it all taken care of quick and that it won't be too huge a project. I can't wait to see the nursery, I'm sure it's going to be SO cute!!!