Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bridal Shower Highs and Lows


A friend of mine at work is getting married this summer, so another second grade teacher and I threw her a bridal shower at school. Don't look too close at me... nasty Florida weather has hit and all the setting up in humidity took its toll on my appearance! Anyway, the shower went well.


I was really proud of the flower arrangement I made for the food table. It can't compare to my mom's skill, but since most people don't arrange flowers, a lot of people were impressed. The pictures don't do it close to justice.
 
I stole the idea of using cut up lemons and limes from my cousin, Taryn's wedding. 

Okay, so the flowers were one of the "highs" of the shower. Here is the "low": below is one of the table centerpieces I did, but it isn't what I set out to do. It was hard to put together something without breaking the bank, so I had this "brilliant" idea. Her colors are all shades of purple, so I envisioned these hurricanes with the the purple ribbon, purple pebbles, and... I wanted to put a purple Beta fish in each one so that they would be an interesting thing to look at. Unfortunately, I didn't realize Beta fish were $4.50 each, so that wasn't going to happen. I bought 16 .30 cent goldfish instead and was okay with the change. The nice man at Walmart put them in a baggy for me and knotted that baby up. I guess my lack of pets growing up didn't allow me to think clearly about the fact that even though fish live underwater, they still need oxygen. When I opened the baggy in the morning I found that 8 of the fish were dead. Oops. I thought, this is okay because I can still use one in each container. I proceeded to fill the hurricanes with water and yep, dumped the fish in. 10 minutes later they were ALL dead. I knew fish needed chlorine drops, but I was trying to save money and thought they would last about a day without them. I was mistaken. Bad call. Luckily I had brought in the leftover lemons and limes and threw them in instead. I feel a little guilty now that I was not sad at all that I killed 16 fish, but that my plan didn't work out. I know...I'm a cruel, heartless pet hater, sorry. 

I brought the chocolate fountain which was a high and low in and of itself. It was fun and tasted wonderful, but the person who melted the chocolate for me didn't melt it enough, so it was still too thick to run smoothly. Oh well.


We played a game where everyone had to be blindfolded and make a bride out of play dough. It was really hilarious to watch people give the bride eyes on her stomach and a veil coming out of her back.
The winner was the orange one because if you look closely you can see that she gave the bride huge boobs. That won Melissa over.

This was in 2nd because she added her own bling to the bride's finger/arm.

It was a fun shower despite the lows. I guess I shouldn't have told Melissa about the fish because I think I almost made her cry. I guess my laughing while telling it was a little inappropriate. Silly pet lovers. :) 

4 comments:

Kirs:) said...

OH MY GOSH DANIELLE!!!! Fist of all you are ALWAYS gorgeous!!! Second, you have me busting up with your fish story:):)
The shower looked beautiful, you did a great job with everything, it looks like it was great fun:):)

Jenna said...

haha i love the goldfish story! that is hialrious! the flower arrangement looked great and the lemons added a nice touch!

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

Yeah for the flowers! They look beautiful. Love the citrus.
I was laughing out loud that you hate pets so much that you killed them all in 1 day! At least you didn't kill 16 $4.50 fish...or maybe that would have been better since then you would have been sad. haha. The shower looked awesome. Good work.

The Upchurch Family said...

Goldfish murderer!!! ;o)