Monday, November 3, 2008

Bathroom Floors


After looking at boxes of travertine in our entry way for oh, 3 or 4 months, we finally got around to getting it installed in our bathrooms! Yea! It looks really nice and we are so happy to be rid of the nasty linoleum. 
The only negative is that now we have the itch to do the rest of our floors. I would love to rip out all of the carpet and flooring, except in the bedrooms, and put in a medium colored bamboo. Chris wants travertine everywhere, or a mixture of the two. I think that a mixture (like the entry way and kitchen in travertine and the main room and dining room in bamboo) will make the house look smaller and choppy. 
 After pricing everything we have realized this is going to be a pretty expensive project. This has also led to Chris researching other tiling that may be cheaper. He is now trying to push Saltillo tile. I think the reddish clay tile is really pretty, I just can't decide if it is the look I want.
What is your opinion? Am I being stubborn by holding out for all bamboo or should I compromise?
Here are some pictures of our new flooring in the bathrooms.

Yucky Linoleum

Our bathroom
Guest Bathroom

Saltillo Tile

Bamboo Flooring

6 comments:

Jenna said...

ohhh i LIKE! very nice choices! I think the reddish clay would give a nice pop to the house and would look great with the yellow walls contrasting.

bamboo looks pretty too but may clash a bit more and may be more expensive!

KatieB said...

did you guys install all that travertine yourselves? impressive! i want to rip out the tile in my entryway and dining room and put in wood, but chad won't let me. someday... it's hard for me to have an opinion since i've never been to your house. my personal preference is always wood, but if you're in a really spanishy style house, maybe that red tile would look good. but i still think girls know more than boys when it comes to decorating so go with what you like :)

Audra Bollard said...

your bathrooms look great!

I'm voting for bamboo. While I do like the look, it will limit you to a very specific style. Plus the grout and texture look so difficult to clean--no swiffering!

Audra Bollard said...

What I meant to say is that "While I do like the look of the tile . . ."

Unknown said...

Hey Danielle - I love the travertine in the bathroom! I vote for bamboo throughout the house. I do love the look of the spanish tiles, but it's harder...harder to clean, harder if fallen on, etc. Perhaps there is a type of prefabricated bamboo that doesn't look too tacky that would be a more cost effective? MISS YOU!

The Upchurch Family said...

Wow! The travertine looks awesome! Lance did a great job! Can't wait to see it in person next month....