Friday, October 10, 2008

The Tiny Seed


At school this week our story was, The Tiny Seed, by Eric Carle. It is a really cute story about the difficulties a seed goes through before it turns into a flower and then eventually dies and lets more seeds out of its pod and the cycle starts all over again. My students were really into it, so I decided to have them plant seeds today and decorate the cup in a similar way that Eric Carle does all his pictures. 
They turned out really cute and my students had a blast! The funny thing is, we did this right before PE and when my students came back into the room, they all ran to the window and were shocked and dismayed that the plants had not grown a stem yet! I patiently reminded them that in the story it does say that it takes more than 30 mins. to grow... like try weeks and usually longer. Oh well, I just hope they grow at all after the way the kids handled and dropped the poor little things! I just hope this doesn't get me in trouble like the gloop did!




If they had extra time, they got to decorate an animal picture like Eric Carle does, well...sort of.

2 comments:

Annalisa said...

i'll have to check it out at the library. looks like a fun little book.

Austin said...

Very fun activity! looks like the kids had a blast.