Thursday, October 16, 2008

"I believe"


There are some conversations I have with my students that just can't end with me. Here is one of the strangest conversations I have had with a student to date. (You know that you know who it was with...yep, little creep.) 
Set up: I am doing a one on one reading test with him at the reading table. We are about halfway through the test. Oh... and this is soooooo much funnier if you have been to Sea World.

L. Creep: (stops reading mid sentence) Hey Mrs. Harris, can I tell you something?
Me: Sure, why not?
L. Creep: You know what I believe?
An Intrigued Me: No, what do you believe?
L. Creep: In killer whales.
Me: What?
L. Creep: You know, like the killer whales at Sea World. I believe, just like the kid on the         Shamu show.
Me: Well, that's neat, but I think in the show they meant that you should believe that anything can happen if you believe. We already know killer whales exist, so we don't really have to believe in them. 
L. Creep: Yeah, I know. That's what I meant. But Mrs. Harris, I really, really believe. I even have the whale necklace like the kid on the show. Well, I didn't like get to get it on the show, but you know, I got it in the shop.
Me: That's great honey, but we need to finish reading now.
L. Creep: Okay. Hey, Mrs. Harris? Someday I'm going to get the necklace in gold or silver instead of wood.  Cause, you know, I really believe in killer whales.
Me: (trying to hold back a huge sigh): Okay, please read.
L. Creep: I believe so much that I don't think any animals should be in cages like at the zoo or Sea World. It isn't fair. My dad said we can go back to Sea World soon.
Me: Hmmm, I thought you didn't think animals should be in cages. What about all the animals at Sea World? (You know I couldn't resist!)
L. Creep: Well, they're the only ones that like it there.
Me: Okay, honey, you really need to read now!
L. Creep: Okay, but Mrs. Harris? I believe so much that I can like control stuff. (Shrugs his shoulders matter of factly.) You know, like fire and stuff. I really can. 
Me: (ring bell for students to change centers and reading groups and pray I don't catch on fire.) 1 Hour later: 
L. Creep: Hey Mrs. Harris! (Just starts waving his arms up and down in the shape of a whale's tail like they teach you to do at the Shamu show.)
The next morning: L. Creep leaves a hand-drawn picture on my desk of a killer whale with a caption under it that says, "I believe in killer whales." Why do I even try?

Unfortunately, this is not exaggerated or embellished and this is a pretty typical conversation with this child. Oh, and if you haven't seen the Shamu show, it is the cheesiest thing I have ever seen, but apparently it strikes a chord with kids! 

3 comments:

Audra Bollard said...

I am DYING over here!!! This is so funny/weird/disturbing I don't even know what to say. I'm suddenly grateful that Ethan didn't want to see the show when we sent on Saturday! (And what parent actually buys those creepy wood necklaces from the gift shop!).

Keep me in the loop about your new book club . . . it will be so fun!

Jenna said...

haha that is sooooo funny! that kid is a little creep. i can just picture that conversation going on...

megik said...

SISTER HARRIS!!
Its maegan! the one who moved! yay! i had sister grey's blog and so from there i went to other sites! im so glad i found you! hehe i have a blog to. i guess you can guess that cuz im commenting. oh well.
Luv,
Maegan (your old beehive, now Mia-maid)