Saturday, September 8, 2012

28 week update

I'm hoping today is the last celebration taking place in the hospital room during this crazy pregnancy! I am officially out of my 20's and am saying hello to 30.

The best birthday present was having really good results from my ultra sound and speculum exam yesterday. It looks like my cervix is still shut, cerclage is holding tight, and my cervix even grew by 2 whole mm! lol! I'm very surprised it wasn't any shorter and so happy. The baby looks great as well and is putting some fat on his little cheeks. He's also head down now. It was really fun to see him in 4D, where I could really get a good look at his features. I convinced the sonographer to take her time since it was my only outing in 3 weeks! :)

 The only downside to getting such good news on my results was the influx of different opinions again. My ob's had already decided I should stay until at least 32 weeks no matter the results, just to be safe since they know we live about 35 mins away with no traffic and have a very active 2 year old. Chris and my parents also feel strongly about me staying longer to just give the baby the best chance of making it closer to his due date. The perinatologist came to see me after my speculum exam and started talking about how there was really no reason to keep me here since I am holding steady. He said that medically, there is really nothing they are doing for me and may as well do it at home. He mentioned that hospitals have bacteria too that can put me at risk for infection and that really even though people assume staying at the hospital means safety, the same preterm labor could start here just as easily as at home. He didn't seem to think distance was an issue.  He asked what I thought and it was really hard for me. A lot of what he said made sense and believe me, I really want to go home. On the other hand, my family and doctors and one of the perinatologists I had seen earlier all thought I should stay. I felt like, who am I to make this decision? When he heard all the different opinions that had been given to me, he backed off and said he didn't want me to feel guilty if something did happen at home, even though it could happen here too and that it wasn't fair for me to decide. He will leave it up to my doctors. He did mention that if my insurance calls to find out if it is really necessary for me to be here so long, he doesn't have a lot of medical evidence to support my case, but he would try.

So, for now I am here for another month and I believe if I still hold steady at that point they will definitely send me home. If I look worse, I'm here for longer. This will definitely go down as the strangest birthday ever but that seems to be my new norm!

On a different note, Chris took Lila to her 2 year check up yesterday. As I predicted and warned him, she screamed and thrashed pretty good basically from start to finish. He said it took 3 or 4 times to measure her height. My baby is not such a baby anymore. She is in the 98th percentile for height and the 88th percentile for weight. The doctor thinks she will be around 5'9" to 5'11" when she is older. It is so weird to think that most likely, my children will all tower over me! With my husband being 6'4", I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

4 comments:

Susan R said...

Wow! That must be a lot to deal with and a lot of pressure on you. I think whatever decision you make, you will be okay.
Not exactly how you thought you would be spending your birthday is it.
Gosh, if I lived closer I could come and paint your toe nails or something.

AMSJ Warwood said...

So do your drs not collaborate? I saw a peri once a week for about 2 months with Stella. The peri didn't even work with my midwife and they still talked with eachother and discussed what was best. Sounds like your dr need to talk to eachother before giving you instructions. It just puts more stress and anxiety on you and your little boy which is not what you need right now. I am still praying for you and your family!

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

Hope you had a fabulous birthday (as fabulous a birthday as you can have in the hospital). I was excited to see your post title though...28 weeks is a big deal! Your little guy is getting there :) We'll keep praying for you and hope the decisions come easily. You are awesome, love you!

Elevated Living said...

Glad to hear things are getting better:) Let the drs worry about all the details, just enjoy what you can about growing that little guy (and eat some dumplings;) Hopefully Chris got you some nice bling for your b-day~you deserve something spectacular!!
LOL about the height...Madisen is only 10 and is only 6 inches shorter than me!
Good luck, we'll keep praying for you guys ~Dave & Andrea Wade