Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Not So Big, Big Reveal


I don't know why exactly, but I have been putting off telling my class about my pregnancy. On Friday, I finally decided to tell them since other kids from church and friends' kids already knew and were saying things to me in the hall. I wanted them to hear it from me.
What do I know? Half my class already knew! Mostly my girls. I had NO idea they knew and found out they had heard me talking to the teacher next door but had promised each other they wouldn't say anything to anyone. One of them is a twin and didn't even tell her sister.
I have to tell you, I love this class! Their comments were hilarious! These are some of my favorites:
"We heard you talking to Mrs. Tyson about it...but then you were still so skinny that we thought we were wrong. But then you wore that blue dress last week and we saw your tummy!" Note to self: don't wear the blue dress until I want to look really pregnant.

"Are you leaving? Because in kindergarten my teacher had a baby and got fired and didn't come back so we had really mean substitutes for the rest of the year." I guess mom's who stay home got "fired" in kids' eyes. :)

In the most serious tone, "Mrs. Harris? Does your husband know?" I assured her he did.

"I think you should name the baby, Baby Harris!" How clever.

"I think you should name the baby Rose Danielle instead of Danielle Rose!"

"Mrs Harris, do you want bottles, or a skirt, or bibs, or blankets, or a dress?" After telling her she didn't need to buy the baby anything, "I already made up my mind in my head, and I have my own money, so you might as well just tell me what you want."

From a boy, "Mrs. Harris, are you allergic to flowers?" So cute!

I told them that I have been eating during the day because the baby makes my tummy hurt if I don't. One boy chimed in, "Yeah, and if you don't, the baby could DIE!" I feel more like I am going to die if I don't eat my little snacks, not the baby.

Now when they see me eating in class they say, "Oh, the baby's hungry again!"

"My mom is pregnant too! But she is fat already."

"I saw a picture of my mom when she was pregnant with me and she was huge! She didn't look very good, no offense." Is this what my kids will say about me in second grade?! Ouch!

One of my boys didn't say a word but after about 10 minutes of my class being excited about the news, he proceeded to throw his arms over his ears with his head down. I don't think he liked the pregnancy talk. His mom later told me he does this when people hug too. Affectionate kid.

Anyway, they had me cracking up pretty good and I didn't want to forget their comments.

For your enjoyment I will share what I found on my desk this morning from a student. I had told them that when I do start getting fat they couldn't say anything. I believe this was in response to that.

If you can't read it it says, "Dear Mrs. Harris, You are very skinny not fat even graycie says so."
(Gracie is a 4th grader she bikes home with).
I'm going to frame this someday.

6 comments:

Jenna said...

Haha those comments are HILARIOUS! oh the darnest things kids say!

KatieB said...

your class is so awesome! all those comments are priceless!

Kelli said...

So cute!

Clay & Sara said...

The comments are FUNNY! I LOVED reading this & I know when my kiddo's get bigger, I will be HUGE to them, since there were 2 BIG boys at a time, I got a HUGE belly! LOL! :)

Annalisa said...

very cute class

Linz said...

Those are so cute! When I was teaching I had a student ask me if I was having a boy or a girl and I said girl. A little boy then responded by saying, "Of course it is a girl! Boys have boy babies and girls have girl babies!"
I love what goes on inside little one's heads!