Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tutoring Tots

The new school year starts for me on Monday since teachers go back early. I am actually excited to get back to the grind despite the fact that I found out as of right now I have 12 boys and 5 girls, not to mention I am the designated home room for 2nd graders with learning disabilities. So far that is 5 of the 12 boys. I am confident though that after last year it couldn't be worse... well almost confident.
I have spent the summer tutoring and have really enjoyed it. I tutored three 4 year old girls separately and a 9 year old boy. There were many times when I had to bite back a laugh. Here are some of my favorites:

4 year old
1. N: (Big smile on her face) You know what? When my dog Boris dies I get to have a little puppy!
Me: Oh, but that will be sad when Boris dies.
N: (Shrugs her shoulders) Yeah, but Boris is really old and I really want a new puppy.

4 year old
2. Me: Okay, we're going to pick a word from the book and write some words that rhyme with it. How about...Duck (the whole book was about ducks in my defense.)
L: Hmmm, Luck!
Me: Great job, sound it out and write it down. How about another one.
L: (looks up in the air) Ummmm..... Tuck!
Me: Awesome! Can you think of any more. (In my head I'm thinking "Puck" or "Suck".
L: (Thinking really, really hard, then YELLS) F... (yes, she did and was so proud.)
A lesson totally learned!

9 year old boy
3. Me: (After reading a sci fi book) We're writing a story about what you would do if you had a clone of yourself. What would you have your clone do for you?
J: Beat up my older sisters.
Me: okay, well its your story.

4 year old
4. E: Miss Danielle, don't go! I will come live with you! I want to go in your car! Or you can live with me!
Me: What about my husband? He might miss me if I live with you.
E: No, he's fine. You can sleep in my room.

There's a bunch more, but I can't think of them right now. They were so stinking cute and I'm glad I got to do this this summer!

3 comments:

Annalisa said...

kids are hilarious. my boys start school this week. i'm sure their teachers are going to love their summer stories.

Audra Bollard said...

Wow. Hopefully you didn't tell her mother about that rhyming game! So funny.

Danielle Harris said...

No, luckily the mom was not near by and I very quickly distracted her and moved on! I had to try so hard not to show a reaction so she wouldn't realize she said something wrong!