Friday, August 28, 2009

Back to school...I mean work

My first week of going back to work is over and I am TIRED! The first week of school takes a lot of energy and time. I had to make sure my classroom looked perfect (which required manual labor), I had to smile big for the parents and new students, prepare labels, info sheets to fill out, welcome letters, and an open house slide show that the parents didn't even get to watch, and...oh yeah, prepare lesson plans!

Luckily I didn't have any overly creepy or sweaty dads like last year, nor did I have parents flat out tell me how awful their child is like last year, so I'm feeling pretty lucky. I am, however, the designated teacher for children with learning disabilities and developmental or behavior issues. This has been interesting as those students cannot do most of what I have been doing so far but would rather visit the restroom 16 times or spin in circles while sitting or walking in line. Luckily they will start getting pulled out for part of the day by a resource teacher for some subjects, so things should go smoother. One of those little guys has not sat still for an instant since I met him and likes to stand up and yell out random noises or words. So I'm not trying to be mean by wanting to pawn these kids off, they just need to be in a small group to get the help they (and I) deserve.

I have found myself watching my students and comparing them to classes of years past. Every year it amazes me how different each class is and that they take on a personality. I really like these kids so far and realize how much I love teaching. It just feels good to be back in the classroom with a new group of kids who are so eager to love you and be loved. Their desire for me to acknowledge and like them is literally visible. I got two apples on the first day of school from a couple students which was pretty cute.

There have been some observations I can't help making.
1. More than half my students have a different last name than their parent(s).
2. My class/school has changed drastically in our ethnicity make up just in the years I have been teaching there.
3. More than 2/3 of the parents did not buy the school supplies on the list they were given. Yet only about 1/4 didn't bring any in at all.
4. Every day I feel a huge range of emotions/moods. each day I can be really happy and am laughing but at some point am also breathing deeply to keep my cool. (Is that healthy?)
5. I have yet to discipline one girl in my class but that is not exactly the case for the boys.
6. I have had more boys than girls in my class every year I have ever taught...including preschool. I really hope I'm not one of those moms someday that has 6 boys because I keep trying for at least one girl.
7. I love listening to 7 year old conversations. One student this morning told a boy in his group that his mom must be really rich because he bought a new school shirt and had truck erasers with wheels that really spin.

Okay, enough school talk. For now at least...

3 comments:

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

You are amazing! I don't know how you do it but I can tell from what you write (even on the days when things don't go just as planned) that you are awesome! Those are some dang lucky kids :)
PS- One of my friends liked our 2nd grade teacher so much she invited her to her b-day party...maybe you'll get lucky :) haha

Danielle Harris said...

Oh, I've been invited to some b-day parties of students but I have a general rule NOT to go!!!

Jen's Life said...

How fun for another school year! Sounds like it'll be interesting. I look forward to the stories. Hope all goes well. :)