Saturday, July 25, 2009

Emotional Roller Coaster Ride

I wish I could say I haven't posted in awhile because I have been doing too many fun things to keep up with. Unfortunately that is not the case! I have had a week full of ups and downs. I usually like roller coasters, but the emotional ones really stink! 
To keep it short and non-gruesome...
- I was supposed to have surgery to remove a septum dividing my uterus on Tuesday.
-My mom arrived in Tampa Sunday night to help me with the surgery.
-I was called Monday morning by the hospital to tell me my insurance had not sent an approval.
-This was a shock to me since I already paid my co-pay for the surgery 2 weeks before.
-I am told by my insurance that my surgery had been denied. "Didn't you get the letter we sent Thursday?" No, no I didn't (and still haven't gotten this so called letter.)
-I am told by others in my Dr.'s office that it was all a mistake. Wrong insurance linked to my ID. 
-Am told it will all go through fine.
-I stay on my liquid diet since I will still get my surgery.
-Am told, oops, it is denied after all. The insurance Dr. did not find it "medically necessary."
-They want to talk to my Dr. who is out of town until the night before my surgery.
-I cry. I need the surgery.
-I do all I can to get ahold of my Dr. and finally do as he is getting off his plane. 
-He can't do anything until the next day because everything is pretty much closed, but assures me he will talk to the insurance and straighten in all out so I can have surgery the next week. (He only does surgery on Tuesdays.)
-I sadly remind him my mom is in town and is leaving before then.
-30 mins. later I am told there is a slight possibility if the Dr. can convince the insurance I in fact need this very necessary surgery, they can squeeze me in on Thursday. Fingers were crossed, prayers were said!
-My mom and I wait at the kitchen table until 12:30 Tuesday afternoon for a phone call.
-The surgery is on for Thursday! It only took my Dr. 5 mins on the phone with the insurance to convince them...or threaten them!
-I get to eat/drink liquids for yet another day before surgery.
-I go to the hospital on Thursday for my surgery.
-While I get admitted the nice lady tells me that she doesn't see an insurance authorization on her screen. 
-Chris and I look at each other like we have been slapped in the face.
-She calls the Dr.'s office and gets an authorization number.
-She tells us she still needs to verify this with my insurance.
-My hopes for having the surgery begin to fall...again.
-While on hold, she tells us we also owe money for the surgery.
-Luckily by now I am smart enough to carry every last bit of info on me and I happen to have a receipt which I promptly produce.
-As I am prepped for surgery, I am still waiting for someone to burst through the door to tell me that they are so sorry, but I cannot have this surgery.
-Happily this does not happen and after talking to Chris and my mom and a slew of doctors, I am wheeled in and having surgery!
-After recovering in a haze for awhile and losing the liquid in my stomach on the way home, I am now feeling great and am so happy it is over with!
-The Dr. found some extra things we didn't know about and was able to take care of those and the septum. 
-After a horrible roller coaster ride, I am feeling very grateful for an amazing doctor, a doting husband, a loving and hard working mother, many great friends, and tons of others who couldn't be with me but were praying for me. 

I guess this didn't fall into the "short" category I was hoping for, but hopefully it wasn't gruesome. I have pictures and a DVD of the surgery for that! Just so you don't feel too bad for me, the extra days of feeling good before surgery gave my mom and I some more shopping days that we took full advantage of. Also, my recovery has been so great, that we were able to sit and pump out around 40 homemade cards. I guess that covers my week!

7 comments:

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

What a crazy week! I was feeling so bad for you at the beginning of that story...SO glad that you finally were able to get the surgery, and I'm glad you have a doctor you trust and really like! That is such a blessing. I wish I was there to hang out with you during recovery, glad it is going so well. You deserve some fun after all that stress! You're awesome...love you!

Kira said...

I hadn't realized there was so much drama surrounding the surgery. I am so glad that it is over. I have been thinking of you guys all week. Here's to continued recovery!!!

Jenna said...

We are so happy that everything turned out great and you were able to have your surgery! What an ordeal you went through! I can't imagine going through that!
I'm glad our prayers were answered! :)

Audra Bollard said...

I am convinced there will be a special place in hell reserved for insurance companies. Don't even get me started . . .

I am SO SO glad everything worked out and that Mom could be there. Love you!

Annalisa said...

wow, rollercoaster...i'm so glad you finally got your surgery, that's a blessing. hurray!

congrats on making cards, how fun!

KatieB said...

i hate hospitals and health insurance. glad you came out on top. here's to a speedy recovery. you've been in our prayers.

JennyLeighP said...

I'm glad your doctor took care of you:) and the surgery went well! Let me know if ya need anything!