Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Little Slice of My Kinda Heaven


I don't think my version of Heaven would be complete without the tidepools like the ones at La Jolla Shores in San Diego. Not everyone knows these exist and they spend a happy day soaking in the sun and waves at the beach, thinking they are completely fulfilled. If only they knew that all you have to do is walk a little ways past the pier to experience something more amazing than what any aquarium around could offer.
Hidden on, around, and in all these rocks and pools are a variety of ocean life. The ones we got to see included: star fish, sea slugs, an octopus, sea anemones, a sting ray, fish, crabs, coral, sea sponges, and much more. For some reason it is much more exciting when you find something on your own, out in nature, rather than have it handed to you at the aquarium.


There were so many huge star fish around, that we just stopped pointing them out.


If they could somehow make a blanket that could emmulate the softness of this sea slug, I would be a customer. Strange, I know, but you just have to feel one to understand. That and the fact that I am a blanket junkie.


I love this view underneath the pier


My mom refused to be in any shots, so there are a lot of pictures of me, the ocean, and its inhabitants.


This star fish was carrying around a lot of extra weight. It's amazing how strong they are!



This was the daddy of all the star fish we saw! It was gigantic!




This is the view coming down into the shores.


A huge hunk of coral. It's sharp, just ask my finger.

A gorgeous sunset on the beach. What a perfect day! To be honest, I lived in San Diego for 18 years and have never seen the tide out that far which is what let us see so much. It was truly amazing and I could have spent all day searching for critters.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I'm jealous! I love the tide pools, it was those same tide pools that like 10 years ago I was walking on with David and he managed to slip, fall and cut his tongue on the barnacles living there! Have fun in San Diego!

Jenna said...

i'm glad that you had fun! can't wait to hang out soon! don't worry, we kept your lil hubby chris occupied

Kirs:) said...

I miss La Jolla so much. As a kid the tide pools were such a magical place to "play".
I love the pic of you under the pier, it is a perfect SD pic.:)